Tournament of Succession IV
04/21/2023 – 04/23/2023
in the Shire of Aurantia
A special court was convened on Friday, 21 April. The following changes to Kingdom Law were read into the court record:
- The office of Kingdom Seneschal is now designated as Lord/Lady High Chancellor.
- The office of Kingdom Treasurer is now designated as Quaestor.
- The Chancellor of the Alendian University is now designated as Chancellor of the Alendian Collegium.
- The Kingdom Marshal is now designated as the Earl Marshal.
- The Principal Herald is now designated as the Herald Ordinaire.
- The subordinate offices under the Minister of Crafts & Trades are realigned so as to mirror the construct at the Society level.
- The Grand Council, being a council made up of the Crown with all group chancellors and quaestors, is hereby created and defined.
- The specific duties for the Privy Council are expanded and defined.
- The kingdom champion roles and responsibilities are specifically defined for the three existing champion positions of Crown Champion, Yeoman of the Royal Guard, and Minstrel of Alendia.
- The dates for kingdom-level events have been redefined as “preferred” dates rather than “required” dates and have been shifted on the calendar.
- Crown Tournament is redesignated as the Tournament of Succession.
- Three new children’s awards and one new general award are created:
- Acorn Cluster: Children’s award for members of the Order of the Golden Acorn.
- Blossoming Sprig: Children’s award for members of the Order of the Silver Sapling.
- Oak Hurst: Children’s award for members of the Order of the Golden Oak.
- Lion’s Paw: Service award given solely at the discretion of the queen.
The following awards were granted:
- Galen of Bristol was raised to the rank of Knight Banneret in the Order of the Golden Quill
The Tournament Court was convened in the morning of 22 April. The Tournament of Succession was fought between Sir Daniel mac Thámhais, Sir Caradoc ap Cadwgan, and Sir David mac Philip. King Edewart and Sir Galen, Lord Willowbourne also took the field to test the competitors’ mettle. The final round was fought between Sir Caradoc and Sir Daniel with Sir Daniel emerging victorious. Sir Daniel and Dame Alexandra Notte Clare were invested as Prince and Princess on the field.
Court was reconvened later in the day. The following awards were granted:
- Daniel mac Thámhais: Prince of Álendia was awarded a Lion d’Or for his conduct on the field this day.
- Alexandra Notte Clare: Princess of Álendia was awarded a Lion d’Or for her conduct on the field at the St. David Faire on 11 March 2023.
- David mac Philip was created a Knight Bachelor in the Order of the Golden Quill
- Ástríðr Nilsdóttir was created a Knight Bachelor in the Order of the Golden Quill
- Conall MacCoinnich was created a Knight Bachelor in the Order of the Golden Quill
- Susane Loup-Blanc was created a Knight Bachelor in the Order of the Golden Chain for Archery
- Matilda Spycer was created a Knight Bachelor in the Order of the Golden Maunche for her work in the fiber arts and costuming
- William MacCoinnich, having traveled the farthest to attend the event, was given the Wayfarer’s Award
- Matilda, Cordeilla ferch Rosser, and Astrid were presented with the Ribbons of Renown that were previously recorded in the OP from the Kingdom Artisans Faire, with the notation that the tie for first place between Matilda and Cordeilla had been resolved in favor of Matilda.
The people of Aurantia worked tirelessly to put on a fine event and are due much gratitude and recognition. This chronicler looks forward to the testimony of other participants on the excellence of this event.
Sir Galen of Bristol, Lord Willowbourne